The Christmas season is a time for families to come together and celebrate the birth of our Savior, and one of the most beloved traditions is creating new memories and experiences with loved ones. If you’re looking to shake things up and start some new family traditions for Christmas Day, here are a few ideas from our family to get you started:
- Start a Christmas morning breakfast tradition. Instead of rushing to open presents, consider taking some time to sit down and enjoy a special breakfast together as a family. Tina’s famous Crockpot Oatmeal and Gooey Cinnamon Rolls with waaay too much icing is always on our Christmas morning menu. We indulge after the kids have finished digging through their Stockings.
- Watch this 3-minute video, “Retooning the Nativity” and talk about the misconceptions you’ve had about the story of Jesus’ birth.
- Give everyone a birthday candle and light them. Bring out a birthday cake. Sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Have each person blow out their candle and share a gift they’re giving to Him. Examples: “I’m going to spend 10 minutes every morning with Him”, “I’m going to tell my friend about what Jesus means to me”, “I’ll be nicer to my sister”
- Take a lot of pictures, videos, and remain in your pajamas as long as possible.
- Put on a Spontaneous Melodrama.
These are just a few ideas to get you started, but the possibilities are endless when it comes to creating new family traditions for Christmas. The most important thing is to have fun and create memories that will last a lifetime as you remember and celebrate the birth of Jesus!